Promote ICOH 2018
INSTRUCTIONS FOR SESSION CHAIRS
Many thanks for agreeing to chair a session at the upcoming ICOH 2018 Congress in Dublin, Ireland. We have been working hard over the past few months to bring together the Congress programme and appreciate your contribution to it. Below you will find some useful information to ensure that your role as a chair at ICOH 2018 is an enjoyable and beneficial experience.
The Congress programme is available on the website, to view the programme please click here. Please check the programme to make sure that you know where and when you are scheduled to chair. If you have any queries in relation to the programme please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
You may be scheduled to chair more than one session throughout the conference so please check the programme. Your sessions will not be coinciding however if you are co-chairing sessions that do coincide you will have to relinquish one or other co-chairing roles as the sessions cannot not be moved. You can of course arrange to swop with another chair but this is only by agreement with the other chair and you need to notify us about this.
The order that the papers in your session are listed in the programme is the running order for presentations during the session. Please note it will take no longer than 3-4 minutes to move between rooms.
The Congress Venue
The Congress Presentations/Parallel Sessions will be held in the Convention Centre Dublin, Ireland on the Liffey Level (1st floor), Wicklow Level (2nd floor) & Auditorium level (3rd floor) of the venue. Please make sure to check the schedule in advance for your room name and location. Maps of the venue are available on our website, the conference app and within the Convention Centre.
Chairing the session
You should, if possible, read in advance the abstract(s) for the presentations you will be chairing. This will help you prepare to lead questions and discussion in a fruitful direction.
You will meet the presenter(s) at your session(s) on the day. In order to ensure that the session runs smoothly and does not overstep the time, you will need to give some quick and clear guidance to your presenter(s):
- If the session involves more than one presentation, make sure the presenters are clear about the order in which they will be speaking. This order has been determined in the programme; it may be changed at your discretion, but remember that time is of the essence!
- Coloured cards will be available for your use to communicate with presenters: Green indicates that 5 minutes of presenting time are remaining and red indicates the time is finished.
- Please emphasise to presenters the importance of observing time guidelines to ensure that other presentations are not adversely affected, and be clear that you will make strict use of the coloured cards in order to keep time.
- At the start of the session, briefly introduce the session, reminding the audience of the titles of papers and names of presenters, and of the theme they are generally supposed to be speaking to.
- Introduce briefly each speaker before their presentation.
- During the session you may find it helpful to make some brief notes on ideas that have emerged in order to prompt discussion or questions at the end.
- In the event that a presenter does not turn up: change the timings as you see fit. In addition please report this to the conference helpdesk.
- Presenters have been given their own guidelines (included here for your reference as an appendix), which similarly emphasise the need for strict time-keeping. This includes:
- punctual arrival at the session;
- smooth changeovers between presentations within sessions;
- presentations being kept to time, according to the format laid out in the following table.
Please note that presenters have been told that all presentations must be uploaded in the Preview Room at least 4 hours prior to each session and these will be loaded onto computers in each session room. It is NOT permissible for presenters to upload their presentations into the computers within the room or to connect their own laptops.
Audio Visual Equipment
Each room contains the following equipment:
Each session will last 1.5 hours and the time available for each presentation will depend on the number of presentations as shown below. Please ensure that you let your presenters know how long they have to speak for:
- 4 presenters x (15 min for presentation + 5 min for Q & A)
- 5 presenters x (15 min for presentation + 3 min for Q & A)
- 6 presenters x (10 min for presentation + 5 min for Q & A)
Start on time and finish on time – timekeeping is a key element of your role: be polite but firm!
A general information email for all delegates will be issued one week prior to the Congress so keep an eye out for it. It will contain practical travel information and tips to help you to make the most out of your visit to Dublin. If you have any queries please contact email@example.com
We thank you for your contribution to the Congress.
We look forward to seeing you in Dublin.
ICOH2018 Conference Organisers